Aka's Triple Loop #2 (October 2008)

Thursday 2 October 2008

Cycling is a bit of a numbers game. Whether it's the distance, speed, time on the ride, or targeted heart rate (HR) range, the numbers seem to dictate the level of tempo throughout the training ride. The experience, that is the circuit itself, is only really thought of before and after the outing. During the ride nothing but the numbers seem to matter. This is my reality on training rides anyway.

Some may say that the majestic views and beautiful countryside are the experience. Others however will argue that these visual markers are nothing more than landmarks, telling us how far we have come, or how far to go before it's all over for this ride. Living in the moment of 'now' there is nothing more. Everything is relative to where you are and how it relates to your progress. Once the ride is completed though, the numbers usually become irrelevant...being nothing more than reasons to raise the level of discomfort during what would have otherwise been an utterly pleasant experience. Discomfort disappears though. As does the memory of its existence. It always does. That's why we do it all again.

This outing would be no different. My last Aka’s Triple Loop before Taupo had arrived. Next month, make no mistake, is Taupo. 10,000 cyclists all looking forward to one day. All having their own journey towards the Great Lake. All having to deal with the conditions which are relevant to their chosen event. For the multi-lap riders (Enduro and Maxi Enduro) the rules of cycling at night are applied at some point of the outing, and thus my previous overnight rides have tested riding through the smaller hours. With lights, clothing, and my nerve of riding through the entire night tested it is time to focus on other aspects of longer rides.

The rules of cycling in daylight are neither simpler, nor are they more complicated. But they differ enough to need to be fully tested and also respected. With daylight comes more traffic, less room for the cyclist, yet greater speed. Greater fluctuations in temperature also exist. However, with a warmer outing there is no nagging concern about needing to change a full set of change if you stop for more than 5 minutes. Delays at night will lead to a chill and possibly even illness.

Apart from setting off just after sunrise, this outing would also be unique in that I would be starting from home. The 3 previous Aka’s multi-lap rides had all seen me leave from work in Porirua. So 3 times over Paekakariki Hill this time. Additionally, there would be no tapering for this outing. Previously I had enjoyed a light spin on the Tuesday before the Aka’s multi-lap ride. This time I had a spin on the Monday and Wednesday and also commuted to work by bike on the Tuesday. I wanted to ensure that this would be a true test. Later, once this outing was completed I would have ridden 671.68kms in a single week.

I was asleep by 8:15pm the evening before my outing. Thinking about my training before going to sleep, I reminded myself that my endurance training was based on a scientific approach to cycling, and had been formulated by individuals with far greater experience in the sport than I’ll ever have. This gives me peace of mind when self doubt, or occasional doubters, surface in my life. My last thought was having a felt good feeling the next days adventure.






I have no training secrets or quick fixes – This book is one component in my approach to Taupo.



Waking at 6am I simply wanted to get out the door. I ate about half of my breakfast and frankly didn’t feel hungry enough to eat anymore. This is rare for me. Urgency, an aspect of my training seldom present all season, was going to be a theme of this outing. No stopping and no backing off, with the upper limit of my relevant training zone my focus for the entire outing. I assessed the outside temperature, selected the clothing I’d have for this outing and listened to the already known weather forecast.

Walking out towards the road with my bike I wondered what was ahead of me. My goal for this outing was sub-8 hours for the first 2 laps, then whatever it took for Lap 3. This would all be within specific heart rate ranges, being 70-75% of my maximum HR on the flat, and 75-80% on the hills. However, this time there would be no holding back on the descents. Additionally, there would only be one transition, with the first 2 laps being completed back-to-back and any food and drink I required being carried from the start.

SH1 saw the start of this outing and with a slight tailwind things looked promising. I felt good from the offset, so headed straight to the upper limit of my HR zone and sitting on 34-36kms per hour I wondered how long things would be this easy. MacKay’s Crossing arrived in no time at all and heading down the other side of the over bridge I was surprised by my speed, which must have been excellent, as I got no push on the pedals. Slowing down, still spinning. Slower yet and still spinning. I looked down and saw that smallest cog on cassette had come loose. I simply changed up gears I got to ride for about 30 metres before the chain fell through the cogs and became stuck. An ominous start to the outing.

Standing on the side of the road I knew that I would need to make an emergency call to my Wife Ruth. Fortunately for me Ruth recognised that despite all of our children still being asleep my plight was genuine. I explained my location, and that I would attempt to carry on until she brought needed tools. I heard “I’ll be there in 15 minutes”, and after quickly twisting the cogs back in with my fingers, (a very short term fix), I headed off very slowly towards Paekakariki Hill. Free wheeling wherever possible I thought of what it would mean to miss out on is outing. Maybe I’d need to get the bike fixed and start the whole thing later in the day. Maybe I’d never truly have this outing at all. Regardless, I’d do what I could to make this ride happen.

Crawling up Paekakariki Hill, I was conscious not to put too much pressure on the cogs. Some might argue that I always crawl up Paekakariki Hill, but this time the pace was decidedly slow. I didn’t want to stop and wait, however I also didn’t want to bust the cassette on the bike either. This would have to suffice as a compromise. Few things would have distracted me at this point, but someone managed to do just that. What a sight I had before me. There was a guy running (pretty quickly) up the hill with his bike next to him. I got to within about 30 metres of him and he jumped on the bike and carried on up the hill. I heard a car approaching from behind and looking back knew I probably wouldn’t see him again. I didn’t. Oddest thing I had seen in a while though.

The van was approaching and with it music to my ears “toot toot toot”. Three bleary eyed small children peered out of the window and required tools were handed to me. A BIG thank you was given to Ruth and they departed. It took all of about a minute to fasten the cassette. On the way back in the van, apparently my two year old son decided to combine his new counting skills with his ability to scream loud animals noises. “2…4…5…YEOW!!!!!!!” all the way back to Kapiti.





“Wee Man” is real character and his Mum saved the day bringing me required tools!!


So getting back into a rhythm on the climb I thought about checking the bike the night before. I had checked almost everything, having even applied silicon spray to every moving part. Do I need to check every single piece of the bike before an outing?? The answer is apparently “yes”.

Reaching the top of the hill I noted the roading was still wet from the previous night’s rain. This descent gets little light and this time down caution would be needed. Frustratingly, I continued down the hill not pushing too hard on any of the corners. (Ok – “A couple”). My focus though was keeping the tempo high, as it was too early on this outing to start to rest on the descents.

Turning left onto SH58 I continued to enjoy the tailwind and unlike the Aka’s Triple Loop #1 I knew the wind would be at my back along this stretch of road. There was no glass this time either. Things were looking good and I passed a cyclist who asked me if I was “Training for Taupo”. I simply said, “Yeah, I’ll be out all day”, not really wanting to get into the finer details. I also decided not to ask him why he had a lunch box on the carrier of his bike. Maybe he was out for a while too.

The Hayward’s would be the area I would need to be the most cautious about on this outing. I knew that at the best of times traffic is busy on this stretch of road and that I would have impatient drivers passing me all 3 times I went over this section of the outing. Few cars give me room on the Hayward’s and I expected little. I was pleasantly surprised at how few cars were about though, and I had also forgotten how much easier the descent is in daylight. The few rocks (and existing manhole covers) could actually be seen in advance – amazing!!

Turning onto SH2 everything slowed down. My direction was now north and wind was a north westerly. So a headwind. I clicked down a couple of gears and grabbed the drops. I love this stretch of road and could let my mind wander for a while. SH2 has enough room for cyclists to literally drive a bus through now. Awesome. Well done to the Hutt City Council and Transit!! The road is also ‘clean’ and with there being new seal cyclists gain the benefit of a additional couple of kms per hour for the same effort.

To my right the hills of the Hutt Valley, which saw the New Zealand Road Nationals being contested in early 2007. That seems like a lifetime ago now. So much has passed since that day. Julian dean won the event, but the Kapiti Cycling Club was well represented, having our club’s top cyclist (Sam King-Turner) participate against the best in New Zealand. My lasting memory was watching in disbelief at the speed in which the cyclists descended down the hills. It was unbelievable.






The Hutt Valley hosted the 2007 NZ Road Nationals.


One factor I am very conscious of on the longer outings is where the sun will be in relation to the direction I’m cycling. I knew I’d be cycling towards the sun on this outing along SH2 and this was indeed the case. Not ideal. I’d simply need to make sure I kept well to the left. It was either this scenario or I leave home 90 minutes later, and I wanted this to be an entirely daylight outing. Things went well though, and reaching the Aka’s for the first time I felt good and simply raised the tempo to get me near the top of my training zone for the hills.

The Aka’s almost provide a respite at times. Being 91kg I actually find it easier on the hills at 80% of my maximum HR, than the otherwise 75% on the flat!! Also, there would be no darkness this time. No unknown noises from the forest. No animals jumping out of the trees. I did see 4 Peacocks standing on the side of the road outside of Staglands though. We are so lucky to have areas like this on our doorstep. All you have to do is make the effort to see it.

With at least 5 sets of road works or coned off areas on the Aka’s Loop at the moment the Aka’s weren’t to be left out. The washed out area just past Staglands is now having reinforcements installed, and the next bridge up the road is being water blasted. I got the low-key wave as I passed by these 2 areas and pushed on towards the summit.

For the first time in about 6 months I took less than 10 minutes from the “Welcome to Upper Hutt” sign to the summit. I felt really good and sat on 80% max hr to the top. The descent was straightforward and heading towards Waikanae for the first time I enjoyed a 30km per hour pace into a headwind. My HR would dictate the pace I was going to hold on this outing, so speed was almost irrelevant. It’s obviously still nice to hold a respectable pace though.

The second and third incidents of my outing then occurred. Both though were fortunately a great deal more low key than the earlier cassette issues. The bumpy road between Waikanae and Kapiti lead to yet another drink bottle holder breaking. (2 in a month). NO thumbs up for the Kapiti District Council and Transit!! That section of road is a disgrace. The bottle holder would hold drinks for this outing though. Then, the “Low Battery” symbol popped up on my HR monitor. My dilemma as to whether I swap the batteries over before Taupo became a lot simpler...

Getting into Kapiti I was held up for what seemed like a lifetime at the lights. The intersection’s lights were out. Every lane was directed through the intersection except mine for ages!! I got going again though and followed straight through SH1. No transition this time. Tapping out close to 40kms per hour I knew this was my chance to make up some of the time I lost through the Aka’s (where I had cycled into a headwind). Nervous times going over MacKay’s Crossing again though. Would lighting strike again?? I decided to have a quick look at the cassette, (just in case), and obviously this would be ‘on the go’, so glancing down I quickly assessed the cassette. Everything looked fine.

Just then I heard children calling out. There were a small group of kids waving at me and I waved back. They then proceeded to high five each other and sounded well chuffed at me acknowledging them. Lucky for me they weren’t out 4 hours earlier...as they would have been in fits of laughter at my mechanical issues.

New record at the slowest time up Paekakariki Hill, but I felt good. No need to blow up just yet. With the road now dry and I had a quick descent down the other side and I made the most of it. On my last (overnight) outing I had been in complete darkness for this section of road on every lap, so it was nice to fly down the high. Tapping out a good pace I even needed to change in to the big chain ring. A rare occurrence!!

Swinging left onto SH58 I felt good and kept a good pace. Time was running out for this short lived gravy train of a tailwind. Sitting at the top of my HR range I looked towards the Hayward’s with a new found fondness. Maybe the hills aren’t so bad after all. Before I knew it I was at the top. Descending down Hayward’s saw me sitting on 70kms per hour and feeling safe. I actually had no traffic at all on this outing on the last right sweeping bend, so could use the entire lane to get a perfect line around the corner. I needed it too, with a tailwind having me feeling like I was literally being pushed from behind.

Settling into a rhythm along SH2. I drifted away again. Maybe I like this stretch of road because I’m simply because I’m relieved to be off the Hayward’s?? I got thinking about future outings, which will incorporate the Rimatuka’s. The ‘Wairarapa Loop’ beckons. I would do this outing in a single ride of around approx 12 to 13 hours and I’d prefer to do this circuit via Paekakariki Hill and the Hayward’s, (apparently the circuit is traditionally ridden through the Aka’s via Waikanae). I thoroughly enjoy climbing the Rimatuka’s and recommend the effort to get to the climb. With the climb well and truly off limits during the winter, the ascent is to be cherished. Several weeks before this week’s Graperide Magnum I went up 3 times and the hill repeats left me feeling good about the upcoming hills through the Marlborough Sounds. Like anything, you need to get over the mental hurdle of the climb, and I acknowledge that the hill is very imposing if viewed in its entirety. (You need to break it down into manageable parts). These kinds of outings will be after Taupo however and for the time being the Aka’s will be the backbone of my training.

The view from the Rimatuka’s Hill summit – Taken in 2006 on a trip that completed the Wairarapa Loop over three days.
Nearing the Aka’s I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had taken exactly 4 hours since I had last turned off SH2. This time last year I did the Aka’s Double Loop and hit the wall at this point. I pushed on, and received slightly bemused waves from the same crews working on the respective issues on the Aka’s road and bridge and resisted the temptation to call out “I’ve got another lap after this!!”

Reaching the Aka’s summit for the second time I still felt good and had held close to 80% of my maximum HR on all of the hills. The endurance training is obviously working and this has left me feeling good about Taupo. I certainly feel entitled to line up alongside the other Maxi Enduro riders next month. The leaders, if they do a similar time to the 2007 outing, will lap me however. This says more about them, than it does about me. Apparently the leading bunch (of 5 riders) did 4:52 for Lap 1 at Taupo last year. I am targeting approx 7 hours for Lap 1 and would be concerned if I went too much quicker than this pace. The goal is to finish…and this is something I should not forget.

Heading towards Waikanae I was passed by a carload of ‘hoons’. The car was in various degrees of disrepair and the noise I heard as I was passed was either the car backfiring, or more likely, the sonic boom as the car broke the speed of sound. I had also been passed by them about an hour earlier, and then later I had passed them on the descent down the Aka’s, as they were parked on the side of the road. Interestingly enough however I was given more room by the driver of that car than 80% of the motorists on my entire outing. I rather have the roads filled with irresponsible teenagers who showed a little courtesy, than reasonable adults who thought the world owed them something once they got behind the wheel.

Waikanae came and went, and with it the direction of the wind, which was now behind me. Time for a transition for food and drinks. Firstly, I had to get through the Kapiti lights (that were still out), but instead were in control of a pocket Hitler who obviously didn’t have a thing for whatever lane I chose to be in. The world seemed to come to a complete standstill as I waited for him to finally wave me through. Eventually my wait ended and I headed along Rimu Road towards home. It was now around about 3pm, and I was about 15 minutes ahead of a sub-8 hour pace and felt good.

It was all red lights for me at the Kapiti intersection.
Guinness Records have been contacted re the speed of my transition. I grabbed food and drinks. No change of clothes. No lights fitted to the bike. No small talk. Entire stop took 2 minutes. Then gone.

Having to do it all again was very clear in my mind. Thus, I resisted any thoughts of thinking I merely needed to go through the motions to complete the outing. I had 4 hours and 15 minutes to do a sub-12 hour ride and this opportunity would be accepted. I tapped out a good pace along SH1, but the legs finally started to feel fatigued heading up Paekakariki Hill. It was a warm day when away from the winds, so I felt cooked going up the hill and about half way up got cramps for only the second time this year. My left hamstring was actually starting to cramp pretty badly and so I had a big swig of the drink bottle I put the Hammer Endurolyte powder into. I am pleased to say that, “yes”, it works. No more cramps.

SH58 was dispatched without incident and I backed off slightly to ensure a reasonable effort up the Hayward’s. I also noticed that the wind wasn’t quite with me this time, and in a couple of stretches I had a decidedly strong head wind. With a forecast of “Strengthening northwesterlies”, it seemed unlikely that the winds would swing around, so this event was puzzling. This new theme to the ride would continue along SH2 however. First though, I saw the Hayward’s in a new light. The first climb simply looked like a long rise, rather than a hill and I finally enjoyed a climb up a hill that has intimidated me for a long time.

With the SH2 now ahead of me I noticed that the headwind was now gone. I simply didn’t slow down, and realised that I had a tailwind for the first time on this stretch of road today. Knowing it would be short-lived I decided to make up some time. I ensured I didn’t go over my maximum HR of 75%, but managed to sit between 35 and 40kms per hour for about 5kms. Then back to reality. The bonus got me back on track with my time however.

Along this stretch of road I really started to appreciate the difference of my new tyres. You have so much happening at times you forget about the finer details and the new set of Vittoria Rubino Pro tyres on my bike, (in my opinion), saved me considerable time on this outing. To spend so much time on the bike training, then to pay for expensive accommodation and transport to Taupo, it seems like a shame to cut corners by ending up with cheap tyres. This pair will see me through many outings. A genuine thank you to Doug and Marie Barrett (at The Bike Shop). Not only for putting me onto another excellent brand for my cycling, but also for their support in my progress towards Taupo.

Turning into the Aka’s for the third and final time I noted the last lap had taken 4 hours and 5 minutes. I estimated that I could lose another 10 minutes, (but no more), on the ascent through the Aka’s. It was essential not to drop my head through this stretch and the climb to the summit would test both my resolve to get under 12 hours, and also my ability to get through the discomfort I was now feeling when I pushed the pace on any climb. This was not a time to simply spin up the hills.

Being passed by a cyclist making the hills look easy I thought about how it had been so much easier for me 2 laps ago. Even 1 lap ago!! Now though, I needed to just hold out for the “Welcome to Upper Hutt” sign. (Yes, ironically seen while leaving the Hutt Valley). I finally reached the top and freewheeled for a few metres. Punching the air I knew I had reached a great milestone. Knowing it would still be a close thing getting home in sub-12 hours, I decidedly to stop briefly and reflect on this years training. I had reached 10,000kms (for 2008) within the last few kms. In 2006 I achieved this milestone late in December, in 2007 mid-November, and this year early in October. Milestones should be enjoyed and cherished, otherwise we end up taking them for granted. This occasion was no different. (While writing up this ride report I also realised that the outing had seen me reach 35,000kms since I had started cycling in 2005).
Very cool – 10,000kms for the third year in a row and feeling good.
I was about to depart for the Aka’s descent when a Kapiti Cycling Club rider (Lyn Cooper) approached from nowhere. He had just finished climbing the hill. “Just completing the Aka’s Loop??”, he asked. “Yeah…Triple Loop…been on the road since about 7am and I have 45 minutes to get home to do a sub-12 hour outing”, I replied. “Oh…!!”, came the response. We departed and I think it’s safe to say I had my fastest Aka’s descent of the day. I made sure I wasn’t behind Lyn at any stage, so this outing remained a ‘solo’ effort, and heading towards Waikanae I actually started to feel light headed approaching the “35kms per hour” sign (just before a sharp right hand bend)…doing 45kms per hour.

Climbing on the next short rise Lyn took off. Possibly weighing 25kgs less than myself he flew up the short climb and then cycled back several minutes later. The same was to happen on the next, longer climb. Gone. He was out of sight before I even reached the top of the climb and this reinforced how tired I was getting now. Lyn circled back and we exchanged stories about Taupo while I tried to also keep in mind I had a final push before I got home. The mind was still willing, but my legs were pretty fatigued.

Reaching Waikanae I turned left onto SH1. Alone again I decided to pushed the pace and sat on 40kms per hour. Better to arrive exhausted than having not tried to crack 12 hours. I popped the gears into the big chainring nearing Kapiti and stayed in this gearing up the 2 climbs that welcome traffic into the township. With the lights at Kapiti now working I had a minimal wait and basically went straight through.

Turning left onto Rimu Road I knew I now had time on my side. I would take no chances though and pushed on. Who knows when I’d get this chance again. Waving out to a cyclist who joins our Sunday group I approached the roundabout just before my street’s turnoff. Flying through the roundabout at about 45kms per hour I finally knew I had done it. I free wheeled up to the corner for my street, popped the bike into the lowest possible gearing, and savoured the moment.

Ruth was looking out the window and saw me arrive home. “Are you ok??”, she asked. I simply lay down and closed my eyes, replying “The ride took 11 hours and 55 minutes”. Ruth enquired if she could take my photo. I didn’t care and said as much. What a sight I must have been. Spread across the front lawn next to the footpath like the life had been taken out of me. The opposite was true though. Despite not stopping all day I had never felt more alive. Ruth headed inside, but before she did she peered over the fence and commented, “Three times around. You are a mad bugger”.

So the Aka’s Triple Loops are now behind me. I’m now left with a decision for the Maxi Enduro next month. I know that at around 250 to 300kms I’ll start to feel fatigued. So do I hold the pace between 68-72% of my maximum HR and try to keep a moderate pace for longer, or alternatively push the pace closer to 75% and aim to start Lap 3 at around 12:30am, which will have me through Taupo about an hour before the Enduro riders depart. I suspect I know the answer already, as it would be very special to start Lap 4 with the masses again. To do this I’ll need to turn the dial up on the amount of discomfort I’ll go through on the outing.

Some people will wonder why anyone would go through this experience. Remember though, that one day we'll all be gone. Fulfilled or only partially completed, our hopes and dreams will go with us. So we need to embrace opportunities as they arise. Outings like this leave me feeling alive. Maybe it's because I know that eventually I'll be too tired to follow the path on this journey. By then the numbers will be forgotten, but I will still recall the adventures, people, and experiences that I encountered on this journey to Taupo.


Often meaning comes from the smallest of moments. Thus any journey gains worth from the sum of those moments we serendipitously encounter, not necessarily those larger markers we strive towards. That said, my lasting memory of this outing, an outing of numbers, distances, speeds, and HR training zones, is of 4 peacocks standing on the side of the road in the middle of the Aka’s. They had no fear of what lay ahead of them...and thus were truly living.

No comments: