Taupo Maxi Enduro (2008)

From "Maxing Out", by Stu Downs.
Chapter 19 – “2008 Taupo Maxi Enduro”

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Frank Herbert, Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear, "Dune".

On 31 December 2007 my Wife asked me what my New Year's resolution was. I simply replied, without making eye contact, that we would "talk about it tomorrow". The following day Ruth simply said, "So it's the Maxi Enduro this year then??"

The question was rhetorical.

That was the start of a journey that led me to Taupo. 2008 has transformed the way I look at both my life and myself. I wanted to be sponsored and sought out companies that I would have utilised anyway, but could now create a mutual win-win situation for. Some may say this was simply for my ego, and who is to say that they are wrong, but I am very loyal and have been genuine when assisting those who have believed in me. I also wanted to have a balanced approach to life for my training, so my studies went on hold for a year, along with approximately 9 Friday’s taken as annual leave for my longer outings. Ultimately though I wanted to prove to myself that 2007's Enduro wasn't a fluke. Was I the guy who just had a lucky day the previous year, or was the Enduro an indication of where my potential could take me.

The support for me was both humbling and appreciated.



"So it's the Maxi Enduro this year then??"

The seed for this journey was planted by an outing in December 2005. I cycled from Te Anau to Milford Sound (115kms) in what was initially a cool, overcast morning, and then light rain, followed by heavy rain into the afternoon. I had a headwind the whole way, and for those who know the area there is also a decent climb nearing the Homer Tunnel. It was Boxing Day and despite being summer the Homer Tunnel entrance was surrounded by pockets of snow. I had fallen off on the ascent and had blood running down my legs by the time I reached the summit. I must have been a sight.
I learnt many lessons that day. But cold, wet, and tired my greatest lesson was experiencing the satisfaction of setting myself a goal and completing the journey I attempted. It wasn’t until the climb towards the Homer Tunnel that I realised how much I wanted to complete the outing that day. That feeling was made more special when I reached my goal. I found myself surrounded by tourists. All of whom had travelled by car to the scenic spot and none of whom knew that I had cycled all the way to where we all were. I was therefore different…and happy to be so.
The weeks were ticked off in quicker and quicker succession, until one day I found myself packing my van. With Taupo 2 days away I knew time had arrived. This time last year I didn't have a clue what I was in for. I remember thinking that I would suffer "unimaginable torment" on the Enduro, but in reality the opposite was true, with the outing being a purely enjoyable experience. Likewise, before the outing in 2007 I didn't feel worthy to line up with the other Enduro riders. Who did I think I was to join "real cyclists" on the 2 lapper outing. A year is a long time in some ways. Through my training I felt worthy of being a "Maxi Enduro" cyclist. This is not to sound arrogant though, as I also fully expected to be lapped by the leaders.
So it was time to leave. What is there to say about travelling to Taupo. You drink lots of water, eat tones of rice, and think about where the time has gone since the last time this same piece of road was driven a year earlier. Finally though, after a perfect trip north, I saw Taupo for the first time this year. I decided at this point in time that I needed to do something for the first time.
Thus, after unpacking the van I walked the 100 meters to the lakefront. I had previously never taken the time to walk down to Taupo's lakefront. I could see the other side and liked what I saw. I felt no apprehension of the task ahead and simply said “I’m at Taupo”. A smile grew on my face. Things did get grim a couple of times during the Maxi Enduro, but no matter how bad I felt I simply repeated these words and the result was always the same. The image of Lake Taupo from that foreshore remains in my mind. I had no fear of my challenge and thus had the freedom to dream of whatever I desired.
In the lead up to November's outing I had experienced weeks of nocturnal ruminations, broken slumber, and sudden awakenings leading to additions to the endlessly growing equipment lists. That last night’s sleep was different. I slept like a log that evening and the weeks of vivid reoccurring dreams did not visit me.
Van reloaded, breakfast eaten, and a group briefing for my support crew on what to do all going well, or not so well. Then on the road. All a bit of a blur, except for the vivid conversation with my sister-in-law Emma in the van on the way to the start line. “Which hill is harder?? Kuratau or Hatepe??”, she casually queried. I was to regret my reply. “Easily Kuratau…”, I surmised, “…Hatepe is only considered harder due to greater fatigue at that point”. Oh how I was to ponder those naive and forgetful words before I even reached Hatepe for the first time. The Queen of Hills on this circuit would in many ways became a symbol for the unique challenge that awaited me on each lap.

We got a park literally 20 feet from the start line, and didn't even need to cross the road. Gear was prepared and after I collected my registration pack I had a quick warm-up. The warm-up was hardly faster than my ‘race speed’, but it gave a last opportunity to check everything. I felt good and headed back to the start. There were now 20 minutes until the Grande Depart.


Taupo 2008 Grande Departe


After about 90 minutes our grouppetto had ceased to exist.

Back on Tongariro Street I saw an ever growing number of familiar faces. I was also wished all the best by a number of Kapiti Cycling Club members, including Bob Pratt (President), Doug Barrett, Howard Davies (Father of Miles Davies who won ‘Best Young Cyclist’), and possibly others who helped make a difference, but were lost in the blur leading up to the start. Sorry if I omitted you. It was chaos in those last few moments.

A special thank you to Billy Beeton and his family though. Billy had mentioned that he would see me off at the start. This transpired into somewhat an understatement. The Beeton clan had departed from Wellington at 5am to make the start line on time, and had multiple signs prepared with my name on the lot. More humbling though, they were waiting at the Caltex service station for my sign-in at the end of Lap 1. Then again at the finish line at 6pm the following day in the sweltering heat. You will never know what this truly meant to me. Especially after starting Lap 2, where the light at the end of the tunnel became rather difficult to locate at times.
I simply found a spot at the start line and oddly everyone lined up behind me. Thus, I was on pole position for the start of the race. Not clever. Being passed by the entire field would not assist me in any way shape or form, so I hopped off my bike and walked to the back. It is important to note that I had 2 very clear goals for my approach to this event. Firstly, stay within 68-72% of my maximum heart rate (HR) on the flat, and between 75-80% on the hills. Secondly, not let what others were doing influence my efforts on the ride. Thus, I was relieved to have next to me 2 cyclists who said they simply wanted to “finish before the prize giving”. This was perfect, and we all agreed to start at a relaxed pace. Both cyclists also commented that Lap 1 would be the toughest. This sounded odd at the time, but proved to be exceptionally wise advice.
A brief countdown was followed by an extended hooter and we were off. The start marked not only the Maxi Enduro, but also the official start of the Taupo weekend. I was surprised at the conservative start for the first several hundred meters. No one took off, but as soon as we started the first climb the tempo riding started. Halfway up the initial climb we had 3 clear groups. About half the group leading, roughly half chasing, and my grouppetto of 3 riders. This was the perfect start.
At this point I decided that I needed to shift away from the mindset that I was doing an event. Rather, sitting on this bike was actually my reality. Thus, I told myself that from when I was born, to when I would die many years from now my entire existence (24x7) would have me sitting on this bike. Everything I knew of (like my friends, family, and career) where a dream. This bike and me were the reality. For those who may think this a little odd, they would be well placed to consider what they were doing 30 hours ago. Imagine cycling non-stop since then. It’s crazy whichever way you look at it, so why not embrace the mental side of things.

After about 90 minutes our grouppetto had ceased to exist (1 off the front and the other dropped), and I could just focus on cycling. I made a point of ‘flattening the hills’, so would spin up every hill and bombed down the other side at maximum speed. This meant my HR would stay as consistent as possible (relatively speaking) and I would avoid peaks and troughs in my efforts. At this point my calculated risk of hoping for cooler winds were finally accepted to be incorrect. I had worn my Skins leggings for all but 1 ride since January, but I had to accept that this would be hotter than anything I had previously encountered this year. Thus, I changed out of the leggings and applied large amounts of sunscreen to legs that hadn't seen the sun all year. (Bob’s assessment of my clothing at the start line proved to be quite accurate).
The map of the Taupo circuit.


I got out of the saddle and said out loud, “I accept your challenge.”

Time was not relevant. I couldn't let myself be concerned by what others were doing, or how they were fairing compared to me. I therefore couldn't let it effect me when 1 of my group easily rode away from me. Thus, it is interesting to note that those I started the event with (in our small grouppetto) didn't fair well at all. Neither of them finished.
At about this time I passed a cyclist who had gone with the chasing bunch. He looked fine, but was going quite slowly. I said hello, and he replied in like. It turned out that the heat had effected him quite badly, and he had started throwing up at the 70km mark. He pulled out of the event at the 80km mark. This was not a cyclist who was punching above his weight though, as he had apparently had a successful Maxi Enduro the previous year.
Alone now, I carried on and fluctuated between feeling great on each descent and simply spinning up the next climb. Halfway between Turangi and Hatepe I was feeling pretty good and made a point of looking for any narrower spots that I knew I'd encounter (in the dark) the next time along this same stretch of road. I then suddenly realised something which was at the limits of my comprehension. I calculated that at the base of Hatepe, with 140kms completed, and 4 Hatepe climbs yet to complete...I would have 500kms to cycle. Speaking as someone who finds the mental side of the sport fascinating, I found this a lot to take in. Thus, cycling towards Hatepe I decided that the outing was now truly starting. The heat had been totally oppressive and despite a totally unzipped cycling top (with my backpack handed to the support crew hours earlier), and all of my clothing lightweight and designed for summer, I was cooking.

So here was my easy out. I decided that if I really wanted to get off the bike, then I could. I would turn into the accommodation just south of Hatepe and would find some excuse. But if I started up Hatepe there would be no excuses, no pushing the bike up hills, and the Taupo Challenge would be embraced in it’s entirety. In short, I would pull the pin, or unconditionally accept the road ahead. I crossed the bridge at the base of Hatepe Hill, changed into my bottom gear, and waited for the effort to follow. Shortly thereafter the tapping of my pedals shifted to a decisive pushing. I got out of the saddle and said out loud, “I accept your challenge.”
My first test followed shortly thereafter. Along the top of Hatepe I felt decidedly hot, and this feeling quickly left me wondering how much this would get. Physically, I felt (relatively) fresh, but at the same time cooked from the heat. It would be 4 hours until I would feel better again, and in between wasn't sure if this feeling would subside or get worse. I decided it was all tough luck though, and I was experiencing discomfort, not pain, and would have to accept that this may be with me for the remainder of the outing.

Cycling towards Taupo for the first time I had coming towards me countless cyclists out for a spin, readying themselves for the next day’s outing. Despite wearing a bright pink helmet cover, (which all Maxi Enduro riders were issued and wore), not a single cyclist acknowledged me. They all looked my way though. I’m unsure why, but maybe they were preoccupied with their own outing. Sometimes a little goes a long way, and maybe I'll simply have to keep this in mind if I ever again find myself in their situation.
Sign-in at Taupo went well, and I briefly noted that some of the leaders had completed Lap 1 in just under 5 hours. Power to them, and I simply hoped that they were able to get to the end after completing just a quarter of the Maxi Enduro in a time that the vast majority of Solo participants would cherish for the rest of their lives. This really puts into perspective how truly unique these athletes are. I didn't dwell on these points at the time though, and spent probably 30 seconds signing in before being handed my backpack from the van by my sister-in-law Emma.
While fitting the backpack I thought about the great job Emma and her partner Jon had done on Lap 1. They had leapfrogged me 10kms at a time and simply stood by the van with drinks in hand (in case I wanted another), picked up any bottles I discarded as I cycled past them, and quickly grabbed random items I would request as I thought of them. A pretty thankless task, and I deeply appreciate the time (and annual leave) they gave up while supporting me, and in turn helping me reach my goal.


“The Van” – Perfect for the outing, as were my support crew of my Mum, and my sister-in-law Emma and her partner Jon.



I had a few tears as I rode on. How long would this heat last??


I was on my way for Lap 2, but not before offering Billy the opportunity of a ‘warm-up lap’. He politely declined, and the following day he would zip around Lake Taupo in a sub-6 hour outing. For the record, I did Taupo for the first time 2 years ago, and my time for the Solo was 6:11, so never achieved something many cyclists aim for, and some take for granted. Well done Billy!!
In the early stages of Lap 2 I experienced some of the toughest moments of my life. After signing in I weaved my way towards Spa Road the roundabout that would send me off for the next loop. The heat was just unreal. People have commented that it was a hot day, but the worst of the heat was actually coming up off the road. I was feeling decidedly cooked, and due to the heat wasn't (mentally) breaking the remaining parts of the ride into manageable parts. I simply didn't want to think about it.
So, ascending the initial climb after the Control Bridge I was very conscious that with 160kms completed for this outing I had hardly even made a dent in the required distance for this event. The traffic was also gridlocked, so in the midst of feeling decidedly out of sorts, I was painfully aware that basically every single motorist (sitting in the traffic jam) had nothing better to do than watch me going up the climb. I simply said to myself, “Keep a lid on it”, repeatedly the entire way up the climb. Once I turned left I could finally left down my guard, and starting the next climb I am not ashamed to say that I had a few tears as I rode on. How long would this heat last??
Very slowly the temperature started to cool off, and eventually I could even think about which hilltop would be best for putting on my windbreaker. By the minute I felt better and better. Mentally I knew what was ahead, and mapping out Lap 2 and Lap 3 was made very simple while I enjoyed what were now ever familiar roads. Simply put, I had half a lap to get to night fall, then 1 lap of darkness, then just half a lap in the early morning, which would then see me through to riding with the Solo and Relay riders. If this seems a little long winded, then consider that it is a little more palatable than saying to myself, “I have 440kms to go”. Yes, the former option please.
The plan was for Mum to wait for me at the Kuratau drinks area (77kms into Lap 2) at approximately 9:30pm. I was ahead of time though, and saw her at about the 90km mark at approximately 9:10pm. Things were going well, and I stopped at the top of Kuratau Hill for a complete change of clothing and the fitting of lights. It was now dark.

My overnight training rides (mainly involving multiple loops of the 95km Aka’s circuit) paid dividends. With cooler temperatures and cycling by the rules of darkness I felt like I was able to simply focus on fast descents, and then switch off the majority of my lights for yet another slow ascent spinning ever upwards towards the next summit. I love riding at night, but acknowledge that I may soon reach a point when I will accept I will never do it all the way through the night again. Once again I lost complete vision in my right eye, and this is now happening on every overnight outing. Making that decision is still at a juncture in some time in the future however.
Getting close to Turangi it was getting to the point I knew all year would be the most dangerous on this outing. I had no illusions about my safety between Turangi and Hatepe on Lap 2. It was very perilous stretch of road, and the main hazard (apart from the road to the left of white line not being swept far enough) was the endless stream of trucks that made up of 90% of the traffic this time through. The road was also the busiest I saw it on the 4 times I cycled the stretch of highway. Additionally, riding this in the dark also meant I couldn't always pickup in time the brief sections that hadn't been swept properly, which left me ‘coasting across gravel’ at times. You will note that (unlike last year’s Enduro) I won’t be referring to this section of road as being boring this year!!


Onboard from ‘Day 1’ of my Maxi Enduro training – Fuel smarter with Hammer or use an inferior product...your call.



I carried on alone, watching them disappear into the darkness. It is sobering to note that the Maxi Enduro rider who passed me never finished.

I reached Hatepe and am yet to work out if the climb is easier or harder in the dark. It went on forever, but at least I didn't see the top stay well away for so much of the climb. I probably had my best descent down the other side. I just sat on the white line, had my hands off the brakes, and hoped for the best. Approaching Taupo I was aware that everyone would be tucked up asleep...well assumed they would anyway!! It was amazing how many cars (with bikes on the back) were still pulling into petrol stations or arriving at motels.
Sign-in went well. (Which I guess makes sense, as how can you have a ‘bad sign-in’??), and I noted that Josh Kench had signed in at 9:30pm. My sign-in time was 12:45am, and I after some quick calculations later during Lap 3 I worked out he would just miss lapping me. I thought it would be by about 10 minutes, but I eventually avoided being lapped by 30 minutes. To put this into perspective, Josh was second in the Maxi Enduro last year, was the top placed New Zealander at the (non-stop) 1,200km Paris-Brest-Paris event last year. Additionally, in 2009 Josh will travel overseas to qualify for the (non-stop) 5,000km Race Across America event. Pretty amazing stuff.
I started Lap 3 and decided to go through the town centre to checkout what was happening with the Enduro cyclists. Not much. There were 2 of them chatting on Tongariro Street and I saw no one else. I now had the Enduro distance ahead of me, and had a 45 minute head start over those who will be departing at 1:30am. Having successfully completed the 2 lapper Enduro the previous year I knew I could finish this event, but it would be a case of ensuring that I didn't neglect the basics. (i.e. Food, water, appropriate clothing, and riding within myself).
Things were going well, and I was being leapfrogged every 10kms by Mum in the support vehicle. We got into a good routine, and after a while she would simply have the window open and would listen for my calls for drinks (or clothing), or would hear me call out, “All good”. And it was. Then the progress reports started to filter in from Enduro and chasing Maxi Enduro support vehicles. I was going to make no effort to catch (or keep away from) any other riders, but the updates were fascinating, and gave me plenty to think about in sections of road that may have otherwise been a tad repetitive. I recall getting an update that Josh Kench had just gone through Turangi, so he was almost half a lap ahead of me!! I also heard at the same time that a chasing Maxi Enduro cyclist was 10kms behind me, and a “large bunch” of Enduro riders were 17kms back from my current position. From memory I think the leaders had already passed me, with John Bateson (who had a successful Maxi Enduro last year) wishing me all the best and all of the riders giving encouragement. Good stuff.

When the chasing Enduro bunch, (now with the Maxi Enduro rider sitting on the back), passed by I decided that I would make no effort to ride with any other cyclists until Lap 4. No point in blowing up just to save 30 minutes of riding time. I was to see only 1 last Enduro rider after the 70km mark on Lap 3. They were all making good time.
I commented to the support crew of the Maxi Enduro rider that the following day would be even hotter than Lap 1, and that it wouldn't be wise to start Lap 4 feeling cooked. The reply was “he really wants to finish ahead of you”. I accepted that he was obviously a better cyclist than myself, and decided that I wasn't playing ‘follow the leader’ for the sake of gaining a single placing. They rode away faster than I was capable of cycling. I carried on alone, watching them disappear into the darkness. It is sobering to note that the Maxi Enduro rider who passed me never finished.

Dawn arrived and, in terms of the oppressive heat, the clear skies hinted at what lay ahead. For those wanting a hot day for the outing, they were to receive what they desired. For the rest of us it would be about survival.


Transitions went well, with everyone knowing at which approximate points I’d be needing specific items.



So I asked myself, “1 more lap today, or the whole lot again next year...decide right now.”

My legs went at the 100km mark on Lap 3. So they lasted 420kms. With ‘only’ 220kms of honest road ahead of me I started to think about new expectations for a realistic finishing time. Originally I had thought that a sub-30 hour outing would be realistic (thus finishing before 4:30pm), but now closer to 6pm looked likely, with additional breaks to avoid over heating.
Some people have asked if I was tired at the finish. Others have asked if I felt elation completing the outing. Truth be known, I was pretty much buggered just before Turangi on Lap 3. Riding by yourself for 400kms will do that. But I knew the outing was getting to the business end, so I asked myself, “1 more lap today, or the whole lot again next year...decide right now”. The thought of the latter option was somewhat unappealing.
About 5 kms from Hatepe Mum was parked on the side of the road waiting for me to collect any drinks I may require. I slowed down and stopped next to the van, and with an elbow leaning on the open window said, “Job well done”. I said the ETA would be about 6pm, and that I would be taking it easy on the last lap. Mum headed off and I carried on towards the mighty Hatepe Hill. Mum did a perfect job and I was very pleased I got her back as support crew after a similar perfect effort for the Enduro last year. It gave me real peace of mind to have Mum supporting me through the night section of the outing and I hope she knows it made a real difference.

I was getting pretty fatigued by now and announced to the support crew (Emma and Jon for the last 20kms of Lap 3) at the top of Hatepe that I would “never do the Maxi Enduro again”. They looked rather shocked at my statement. Things picked up on the way into Taupo. Rachael Button (Hammer NZ) and a friend were chatting to my support crew and they then rode next to me all of the way to the sign-in area at Taupo. The company was appreciated. Rachael jokingly suggested that maybe my Hammer kit should have been pink (to go with the Maxi Enduro helmet cover). This is the woman’s version of the kit that looks very cool, (if you are a woman), and has flowers all over it. I pointed out that a season in the magenta T-Mobile kit in 2006 was enough for me(!!).
I signed in at Taupo and confirmed that my ETA would be 6pm. This would give me 9 hours for Lap 4. My plan was to stop at every single drinks station to top up bottles, and every 30 minutes I would stop and empty an entire bottle over my head. This would lead to a complete loss of rhythm on the last lap, but in sweltering heat at least I had the opportunity to feel refreshed from time to time. I would follow this plan to the letter. Before starting though, I took a last look at the sign-in sheet. It was just a mass of squiggled signatures and check-in times. So after adding my third and final signature, along with “9am”, I drew a big smiley face next to my row on the sheet. Despite being very tired I could think of nowhere in the world I would rather be right now than in this very spot, and I looked around at where we were, reminding myself that “I’m at Taupo”.


The profile of the Taupo circuit.



The wet tar completely covered my wheels.

It is interesting to note that I saw an Enduro rider arrive at the sign-in area as I was departing. He had done 7:15 for his Lap 1, and looked like he had hardly broken a sweat on the first lap. “What a beautiful day for a ride”, he commented. I replied in like, and wished him all the best for his remaining miles. This is what Taupo is actually all about. Some forget that the event is actually a 'Fun Ride', and challenging yourself is the most you can expect to do. I hope he enjoyed his second lap.

Last year my big fear for the Enduro was arriving after the last of the relay riders left. While this scenario was not desired this time out, I knew it would actually be the safer option. Starting Lap 4 I found myself at the roundabout on Tongariro Street in an unexpected situation though. There were plenty of relay riders left, and they were releasing all remaining cyclists in a single continuous stream. There were hundreds of cyclists as far as the eye could see, and any thoughts I had of bombing down hills were dashed then and there.
It was wall to wall cyclists until the turnoff for relay riders, when we lost about 95% of those around us. I made a point from this moment onwards to chat to every cyclist I passed, and I was pleasantly surprised at how receptive they all were to chatting. Everyone was simply out to enjoy the outing, and by now this is all I could also hope for...apart from finishing.

I made the most of my expected (short term) freedom from the masses, and I bombed down every hill I could at maximum speed. There was no need to worry though, as the intersection where relay riders merge with the rest of us saw no relay riders left. The road was empty. I looked skywards and knew that this meant I was in for a safer last lap than expected.
The heat was as hot as Lap 1 on this last of the 4 laps of Lake Taupo. I took my time, and knew that if I didn't ride above myself I would be fine. At first I got some strange looks from other cyclists when I poured water over my head. But we all crossed paths a few times, and after a while they would follow suit, stopping at the same spot as me whenever it was time to cool down. It must have started to make sense to them, or perhaps they simply thought that this is something cyclists normally do. On this day, not stopping to cool down would be seriously risking a DNF (Did Not Finish).
I have had many hot rides, but Lap 1 and Lap 4 were something else again. During Lap 1 it sounded like I was cycling up bubble-wrap during some of the hotter sections, with Lap 4 bringing (at times) wall-to-wall blackened wet roading. The wet tar completely covered my wheels, and thus wet tar and stones were being stuck to the tyres. Descents often followed these stretches of road, and slow descents were frustratingly cycled down. I doubted that I'd have much grip on any corner if it was taken at speed in these conditions.
Some hills were simply cruel to climb in the heat. I ended having some very odd thoughts up some of the hotter climbs on the western side of Lake Taupo and 2 stand out that are especially weird. I recall looking down at my legs (glistening with sunscreen) and thinking, “I really do have nice legs!!”. I guess I hadn't seen them much (as I normally have Skins on), so this is understandable. But the other thought was a little darker, with a particularly steep, and decidedly hot, climb having me decide I would never take my bike if I went to watch the Tour de France. “Why take the bike?? You’d just find yourself cycling up hot steep hills like this hill...only it would go on forever!! That’s just not fun!!”


Onboard from early in the year and giving me recovery times that were well above what I expected.



I calculated that it was the first time I had be in a group of any kind for 550kms.

It wasn't all doom and gloom though, and the chats continued all the way around the lake with many cyclists hardly believing that I was doing 4 laps. I reminded them that Lap 1 was the worst of it, so they were actually experiencing the hardest part while we were talking. Few seemed inclined to test my theory that carrying on would be found to be easier. Several however asked a lot of questions about approaching the Enduro for next year. Imagine that. Cycling around the Great Lake twice. Very cool...
The lighter mood of the outing slowly dried up though. I knew what lay ahead, and Hatepe may yet have the last word on this outing of the ages. I approached Turangi and said to another cyclist that we should work together to conserve energy. “Oh no!! You’ll be too fast!!”, she replied. I pointed out that maybe 480km’s ago on this same stretch of road she would most likely be dropped, but not now. She refused to have me do any work, and said she would be lead out as long as I wanted. (Why didn't I think of this approach sooner!!). I followed her for about 6 to 7kms into Turangi, and I calculated that it was the first time I had be in a group of any kind for 550kms.

I pulled the pin on my brief free ride and emptied yet another bottle of water over my head. The cold water felt so good, and I headed off towards Hatepe, passing everyone in sight. The first 2 times through here I has sat on 28kms per hour, and now it was 24 to 25kms per hour, so the pace was slipping away. Despite this, I passed my earlier lead-out rider and decided that I would need to draw on all of my reserves if I was to make it up Hatepe. Finishing was now realistic, but was I going to be pushing my bike up the last hill when I had ridden up every other hill successfully??
I kept my tempo pace, but started to consider what to do about drinks for Hatepe. I decided the best approach would be to drink my remaining liquid food (Perpetuem) and I would pour all remaining water over my head about 200 meters before starting up Hatepe for the last time. It was show time...
Before me was quite a sight. Hatepe looked familiar, expect there were 2 sets of cyclists. Of the 25 odd cyclists ahead only about a quarter were riding, and rest were pushing their bikes up the hill. This would not be my fate. I decided to ignore the pain and started the climb at 4:58pm, saying to myself that I would get to the top by 5:07pm. I aimed to catch every single cyclist riding up the hill, and I did. Interestingly, those riding were all females (doing the Solo), and the only male was a relay rider. The guys were all off their bikes pushing.
I felt very proud of those individuals who all looked extremely tired, but were desperate to get to the top without stopping. As I passed each of them I told them they were a legend for pushing through the pain barrier, and I got some very genuine “Thank you’s” coming back my way. Near the top I passed a woman who was about to get off the bike. “Don’t you dare stop that pedalling...you’ve almost made it!!”, I said. She enquired if I was a mind reader, and said she was ready to cry. I said she could cry at the top, and reminded her that she was in control of her destiny. As I rode away from her I heard “Yes...thank you.”
Near the top now, and powering on, with my speed on a constant 12kms per hour. Not flying, but definitely not pushing the bike up this last true hill on my outing. A group were calling out to those getting close to the summit. “Go Enduro rider!!”, I heard. “Wow!! 2 laps...you have done well”. I held up 4 fingers and simply said “4...not 2”. Stunned silence followed, and then even louder cheering. All that did not matter now though. Almost there. Closer. Nearly. And finally, yes!! I was at the top, I hit the handlebars and called out loud, “I bloody did it!!”


On and on and on. Physically I travelled around Lake Taupo 4 times...but mentally I went to places I had never been before.



I realised that the drinks station was missing the key element of...water!!

Coasting along the top I considered how I had felt just 2 years earlier on my first Taupo. I had done 6:11 for that first outing and had felt so embarrassed of my efforts. I shouldn't have though. I gave it everything, and did the same last year in the Enduro. So the fat man who did 4:04 for the inaugural Graperide had dared to dream about participating in the Maxi Enduro, and now I would do it. I felt a unique happiness in those moments.

My euphoria was temporarily put on hold when I realised that the drinks station was missing the key element of...water!! I accepted that this was just tough luck and that I would therefore be finishing this outing without a drink. I bombed down the descent and decided to keep well to the left for the remaining ride into Taupo. Getting bowled by a car now would be a little frustrating to say the least, so I made sure I was well out of harms way.
Along this stretch of road I passed the point where 2 years earlier in my Solo I had suffered a puncture. Ironically, I had been knackered the whole way up Hatepe on that day, and had hoped for any kind of break. (Punctures included!!). As luck would have it, I would get a puncture on the descent. This year everything was perfect. Much thanks to my Father (and good mate) Murray Downs, who supplied me with a 12-27 Ultegra cassette and Durace chain for Taupo. (Having a birthday the week before Taupo each year comes in very handy). I also used again the set of Continental 4000 S's that Dad had gifted for the Graperide Magnum earlier in the year. It was not lost on me how lucky I had been with the bike. I love my Avanti Corsa. I really do. Thinking about how fortunate I had been on this outing I carried on towards Taupo.
Riding up next to a relay rider I explained that I was doing the Maxi Enduro, and if they were happy with it I would simply sit on their wheel. The guy was stoked to have me ride with him, and we sat on 25kms per hour into a slight headwind. We swapped a few stories, but he eventually blew up at the base of Airport Hill. I thanked him for his efforts, and with a genuine tone he said, “No thank you!!”

I clicked up a couple of gears and rode to the top of the hill out of the saddle. It was all downhill after that. I passed various motels and heard motorists shouting out encouragement. All very cool. It was all catching up on me though. I stopped at the top of the very last rise and zipped up my Hammer jersey. I also dropped my head onto my arms. I was so tired.
Riding the last 2kms I was passed by some cyclists and I looked behind me to see that the road was clear. No need to rush now. Just as well too, as I was getting rather light headed. I crossed the first timing mat and carried on, with my left foot clipped out now. Then the second timing mate. All done. I coasted onto the grass and felt nothing. No joy or elation. I knew though that all of that would follow.
Lying down my legs seized up within seconds and any water passed to me was simply poured over my face. I closed my eyes and thought about nothing. No need to dream for now. I had followed the narrow path and the Maxi Enduro was complete.




Goal completed. I had finished the race a 1,000 times in my mind throughout the year...but 1,001 was the sweetest.



I had followed the narrow path and the Maxi Enduro was complete.

The End


Epilogue
People have asked me what it is like to do the Maxi Enduro. I heard a story once, (and I guess it doesn't matter if the tail is an accurate account or not), that in military prisons they sometimes gave you a rucksack filled with rocks. You awaited the whistle to be blown, and depending which pattern you heard would determine if you did (for example) a forward roll, backward roll, star jumps, push-ups etc. So no matter how bad you felt, and not really knowing what would be next you accepted you would just do it. After a while, regardless of the pain you were going through, you would blindly follow the directives given. In short, you ceased to be a person in your own right, rather you were an extension of the environment, with your personal suffering only becoming being something you had to get through...as the torment would continue regardless. This is what the Maxi Enduro is like. For those who may feel I’m being a little dramatic, during Lap 4 I could feel the skin being pulled off my backside every time I got out of the saddle. I wasn't giving up though, and it must be said (looking back now), that I have fond memories of every moment of my journey.
I am 37. But waking the morning after completing the Maxi Enduro I can honestly say that for the first time in my life I felt complete. I believe it is important that at least once in our lives we stand amongst Kings. I can now say I have done this. It would be fair to say that I had chosen and climbed my Everest. Last year the 2007 Taupo Enduro was all about getting the monkey off my back. I was always the fat kid picked last for sports. With the Enduro achieved I knew I didn't need to prove anything else to myself in the realm of sports. For this very reason I chose the Maxi Enduro this year. Not because I needed to, but because I could. Thus, the Maxi Enduro was intended in many ways to be the exclamation mark on the previous year’s (2 lapper) Enduro. Ultimately it ended up being so much more.
The Ancient Greek aphorism, “Know thyself”, seems like a fitting sentiment for this outing. I feel I do know myself well enough to honestly say that I am someone who prefers to simply, ‘do my own thing’...both on and off the bike. As an example, I thrive on riding alone through an entire night. This said, the Maxi Enduro had me experiencing some of the loneliest points of my life. I got thinking during my 4 laps around the Great Lake I am surrounded by special people in my life. This profoundly effected me, and the outing has left me seeing that the people I work with, cycle with, and live with, are worth getting to know better.
Finally then we were home. After driving home from Taupo we unpacked, got our children asleep, and could finally unwind. I announced to Ruth I knew what my New Year’s Resolution for 2009 would be. With a hesitation in her voice Ruth asked what my plans were for the year to follow. I said “I want to spend more time with our family”. “I knew I’d get you back some day”, Ruth said softly.


Placings
I trained and rode the event to finish. This was my 1 true goal. But for those fixated with placings, I will indulge you. There were 18 starting cyclists for the 2008 Maxi Enduro. Results as at 7 December 2008 state I was the 11th cyclist across the line and the other 7 cyclists did not finish for some reason or another. That’s a 40% dropout rate. I am relieved I stuck to my game plan of riding within myself.
The finishers in the 2008 Maxi Enduro are listed below in order of finishing. I salute you all, and feel honoured to have lined up with each of you before setting off on this truly unique event...
Joshua Kench
Brad Sara
Steve Ross
Paul Andrewes
David Comans
Mark Longstaff
Jim Sutton
Andrew Elliston
Bill Lane
Shane Robinson
Stu Downs


Lap Splits
My splits for each lap were...
- Lap 1 – 6:45.
- Lap 2 – 7:30.
- Lap 3 – 8:15.
- Lap 4 – 8:59.
- Total time – 31:29.


Points of Fatigue
My legs held up very well during the outing. I lost no power until the 240km mark, and my legs didn't feel fatigued until 420kms. I felt no pain in my legs until 620kms, with my left knee getting quite sore at 630kms. Within minutes of stopping the outing the my legs completely seized up, and despite sitting in the cold water of Lake Taupo on the way back to Hatepe, a full leg massage, ‘contrasting’ after the shower, wearing recovery Skins, and also wearing pressure bandages, I was seized up for days afterwards. To put this into perspective, I have only been sore on 1 occasion this year the day after any outing. (That was the Graperide Magnum).


Hammer Nutrition
My food intake was perfect. I never once felt like changing the food or drinks. Everything was tested and re-tested throughout the year and it went well every time. Frankly, I believe that if I'm ever going to have problems with Hammer, then it would have been on either of the days with unbelievable heat. My body went through a lot, but my legs kept ticking over, and without the correct level of caloric intake this would have been impossible to continue.
On the ride I never got cravings for food, and at the finish I felt no feeling of extreme hunger. It is also worth noting that I cycled through 2 full days of stinking heat, and rode for 31.5 hours essentially non-stop, but not on a single occasion did I cramp. Food intake is a very personal thing, but in my opinion I would be foolish to use anything else. I feel fortunate to have found a range of products that I can depend on with complete peace of mind.
Hammer Intake...
- Calorie Intake Per Hour - 300 calories. (I am 90kg - Less would be ideal if you were lighter).
- Scoops of Perpetuem - 44.25
- Hammer Gel sachets - 16
- Hammer Protein Bars - 3
- Endurolyte Powder - 10 scoops for each lap
- Endurolyte Tablets - 5 tablets for the second half of Lap 3 and 10 tablets for Lap 4.


Acknowledgements
Hammer Nutrition - Thank you to Rachael Button for sponsoring me and continuing to sell the best endurance food on the market. Thank you for assisting in keeping my the pedals turning and also thank you for believing in me as much as I believe in myself. Opening the box containing my new Hammer kit was an incredibly humbling experience. I look forward to many more journey's using Hammer to make the experiences as enjoyable as possible.
io (Wellington) - Thank you to Bronwyn Jones for sponsoring me and providing the means by which my recovery has been phenomenal this season. I am staggered by the apathy towards using io by some of my peers. Fast recovery after training sessions is essential, and io facilitates this. I have found the sessions to be incredibly beneficial, and believe that if people could experience the benefits they would be converted overnight.
The Council of Sport - For sponsoring me and once again assisting me with my sporting endeavours. In an age whereby many organisations are interested in only the bottom line, the Council of Sport supports Police staff in reaching their sporting goals. A personal thank you in particular to Jack Davie, Kirsty Hurnen, and Katrina Graham, who were a pleasure to deal with throughout the year.
On Yer Bike (Paraparaumu) - For recently coming onboard and sponsoring me. On Yer Bike provided me with some essential backup equipment for Taupo and this gave me peace of mind heading into the event. I look forward to working with Nigel and his team in making cycling safer in Kapiti.

A few ‘good chaps’ at the Kapiti Cycling Club – Chris Blackford, who kindly lent me the bike I had sold him 3 years ago, so I would have a spare for Taupo. Also, Adrian McKenzie and Pete Foster, who both started as acquaintances and are now considered true friends. Finally, to my ‘Kapiti 805’ cycling group. I am so proud of all of you who completed your own Taupo Challenges. Only 3 years ago I was referred to as a ‘C Grade Cyclist’ (in a club that only categorises riders into A and B Grades), and I will never put any of you through that. Hold your heads high and fondly recall your own journeys.

Emma Andrucci (and partner Jon) - Support crew for Lap #1. Emma, I hope your journey through life continues to be an adventure. I know of few people who have travelled and lived life in such a free and pure way as yourself. I hope this continues for you. Jon, as a GP your presence was appreciated. I am pleased you brought the IV drips for me, and am even more pleased we never needed to use them.

Kathleen Andrucci – For last minute phone calls countless times to baby sit ‘The Grandchildren’. This gave me real peace of mind and in real terms meant that Ruth could get to work on time while I cycled home ‘the long way’.

My 3 children – Alex, Amy, and David. Sorry I didn’t spend much time with you this year. I often used this as motivation not to pack it all in, and I also knew our 2 family creeds of ‘Try Your Best’ and ‘Never Give Up’ would be tarnished if I changed my mind and decided to follow the wide path trodden by many. May the sun always shine on you. All 3 of you will be seeing a lot more of me, and hopefully over time David (now 2 years old) will cease simply saying “Daddy Bike” if he can’t locate me.

My Mum - Support crew for Lap #2 and Lap #3. You did a perfect job last year, so you must have known I'd get you back for the Maxi Enduro. I had complete peace of mind in the job you would do. I look forward to many more adventures together, but if it helps...they won't include the 2010 Taupo Extreme (8 lapper). Having said this, keep late November 2011 free though, as I’ll be ready for another Maxi Enduro by then.
My (beautiful) Wife - What you put up with at times!! Cooking, cleaning, catering for the needs of a long distance cyclist. Then, on top of ensuring I am always ready for the next outing you hear about it blow-by-blow after I'm done. Your support is genuinely appreciated and I truly value your selfless approach to our happy family. I love you. Not because you have made the training easier, but because I knew that I had met my other half, that day 10 years ago that we met in your flat in Newtown.
Finally, I thank God. Only once did I feel alone all year. This was in the darkened Akatarawa’s during Aka's Double Loop #2. But He was always there. You only have to ask for Him and he'll be your rock.
That is my Taupo experience my friends. Let your imagination be your compass and trust yourself enough to step into the unknown, as it is not the darkness - But instead...it is the light.

4 comments:

Gary said...

what a great read! Well done Stu, we are all proud of you!
Love Sandra,Gary, Ella and Ari x

clookid said...

I've just ridden 640km... At least it felt like it. Your writing grabbed my attention, and kept it until the last word. It sounds like you did an excellent job, and by reading this... You've made me want to achieve more.

Given that I am able to persuade Mum, I'll make an attempt to be there on the 23rd of January, to complete the 200km adventure -- given that it's the steady 25-26km/hr pace, I think I should be able to muster up enough determination to make it through.

Are you (planning on) publishing this book? If so, you'll have to let me in on some more details -- I'd like to purchase a copy.

Charles

Unknown said...

Well done Stu, I believe I saw you twice before Hatepe Friday and Saturday, I was in a car both times, called out the window what I hoped were words of encouragement, but who knows, it may have all been lost in translation. But I was proud to tell my friends in the car "that's Stu".

I also remember Hatepe as the hill that almost made me walk and it was my stubborn pride that keep me going and I remember thinking I'm only doing this once Stu has to do this 4 times, funny the thought gave me strength.

you are an inspiration
Steve r (8.05s)

Anonymous said...

Hi Stu,
Great read, you have inspired me to do the enduro this year... so thanks I think?
Hey do you know of any resources online for enduro training tips. I have a plan I've come up with myself but any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Brendon