Aka's Return

"I find motivation everywhere".
Jure Robic. (Two time RAAM winner). RIP.

31 Dec - It would seem fitting that this year would end with a return to the Aka's loop. Fitting also that the weather would turn to crap. Likewise, it would sum up this year that within an hour of the ride starting - on this last day of the year - that the 500kms (and 6,000 ascended meters) would catchup with me. This loop is many things, but subtle it is not.

With the Maungtuks climbs behind me for this week, I had experienced the best weather seen in the region since February, and even had a suntan for the first time since March. Successive days of multi-hour hill climbs left me happy with the world, and feeling that this holiday was finally a productive one.

The Aka's loop awaited. Just one lap. So not an epic outing. 'Easy Pace'. Nothing too adventurous. But having ridden it the day before, I would have been arrogant to see this ride as an understatement. So one ride left for the year. One last outting then.

The weather changed. Gone was the sunshine. I would be soaked before I even got to the base of Paek. Hill, and the screaming headwind left me feeling jaded by the time I started the first climb of the day. No stopping though - Not this time. This hill has claimed me just the once, and this circuit will be mine. Too much happened in August - too much in 2011 - for me to second guess this day.

Later. Half way up the Aka's climb. I felt better. Then good. Then great. The rain now had a life of its own. Large dops of water landing, as if falling through trees, and there was no sign of the downpour stopping. No sign of me stopping - either. On this day of wind and rain and climbs. And solitude.

Gone were the memories of this circuit meaking me it's bitch. One day I'll do the Aka's Quadruple loop - And while I acknowledge that this day's ride was an understated effort to finish off the year, I know that the biggest year of my life is ahead of me. Yes. 2012 is finally here.

I love the feeling at the start. But this is a different level again. The day awaits. Still. And while many are focused on new activities - I am not. The goal remains the same. Truth be known I am sure of where the forthcoming year will take me...but little else. But this is 2012, and in a year where anything is possible that is enough. My arena awaits. Our arena - For those helping me on this great journey against the clock. Against my self belief. And also for my self belief.

If I die this coming year, then bury me facing east so I can watch the sun come up. If I make it, then I hope it was with your help - This journey will be one to remember for all the right reasons. Kia Kaha.



BackMoving only forwards.
The New Year will bring me hope.
Hope that lives in me.


No comments: