Levin Velodrome #5

"Unless you believe, you will not understand"
Saint Augustine (354 AD - 430 AD).

The fifth longer training ride at the Levin velodrome would be a 400km overnight ride. I would ride under both a clear sky and full moon, and this ride would be one of peaceful riding - in the midst of the constant assessing of where the ride was taking me. On and on into this world of darkness and fatigue. Never truly stopping. I knew that it was now 6 weeks until the biggest ride of my life.

I arrived at the velodrome in time to start at 6pm, and unlike the last overnight ride I wouldn't be greeted by drizzle as I setoff. In fact, I'd have 2 hours of light before the lights needed to be switched on. This made for an interesting start, as I was under strict instructions not to bury myself on this ride, no big efforts, and just cruising. The trade-off was there being zero chance of cutting this ride short. Not that I do that anyway, but not even the option existed. I'd remind myself of that rule more than once on this ride.

The pace was good, (for an effort level just above nothing), and I looked forward to the first major milestone. Midnight. Yes. I think there is something profound about riding in the middle of the night, and this time of night would mark a significant point of the ride. However, another significant point would arrive before then - night would arrive, and I'd need to stop to bundle myself up in warm gear. I considered pushing on, but saw little point in risking the cold when no tangible reward existed. So warm then, and midnight arrived.

My next milestone was just an hour later. If riding at midnight is profound, then riding at 1am is utterly surreal. You've had your day, and now you should sleep - missing the happenings of the world, and your mind, alike. Even if for just a few hours. No. Not on this night, where I would get a bonus day (albeit a darkened one), and would look in wonderment from time to time at the moon. Slowly creeping over the hills east of me, and moving ever slowly over me. The moon would cover the entire nights sky before I'd finish this ride. My other companion on this outing.

At around 3am came an unexpected milestone, with the lights dying. I carry 2 batteries, so no issues, and I carried on in the dark for around 20 minutes before connecting to the new battery. It was so peaceful in the darkness, and frankly I would have happily carried on in this state until my next change of food / drinks, but then started to yawn. I have NEVER been sleepy throughout a nights riding, and the most I've experienced previously would be the occasional yawn at around 10:30pm, and then being wired for the remainder of the ride. Not on this night. It was like I was sitting at a desk, sleepy and tired and waiting to get my rest. So the lights went back on. Oddly, I carried on yawning, but felt wide awake when the sun came up.

I had a mantra on this ride. Time always carries on. Nothing can stop it, and nothing can deny the ever presence of seconds flowing over to minutes, and minutes spilling over to hours. This would be a thought I'd remind myself of all night. I can do this. I can see this ride through to daylight. A new day. And it came. Slowly at first, in the same way the last day left, and then bright and full of life. My children appearing, waving to me, awake, and refreshed. I had 30 minutes to go at that stage. I succumbed to the power of advertising, and told Ruth to buy me 2 bacon and egg McMuffins. I guess passing the MacDonald's billboard 900 times has an effect after all. They returned with Burger King. It was the first time in 10 years I had eaten that kind of takeaway. It was food though. And it was good. My ride was now over.

Everything gains greater meaning on these journeys. Comments made are not incidental - but instead they announce where others are in relation to me in this world. Alliances made or broken, hope given or attempted to be taken, people choose to be by my side or seen from afar...if at all. It is so easy to see people as arrogant or aloof when they are pursuing bigger goals. But most of the time they are not anything but focused, and sometimes tired. No arrogance exists for this ride, and no complacency. Hard work, determination, and living each day to it's fullest has become the way of life. If you want a sport where you can be smug, then try golf, and shoot a hole in 1. But I struggle to see how that could be as rewarding as seeing one day off and welcoming another.

My lasting memory of this ride was the very end. "2 more laps to do", I said to Ruth. I did 2 and still had another minute to get to the required 15 hours. So another lap it was. All of these 'another laps' will add up. They all count. And ultimately, they are the difference between winning and losing. For this I am pleased. However, later though, I need something else. In the midst of 1,200kms weeks, and 15 hour bike rides, I'm starting to crave some kind of moderation in my life - I know that the time for middle ground has yet to arrive though. That will be 'After April'.

1 comment:

Corran said...

Hi,

Good luck for your record attempt at the Levin velodrome!

I grew up in Levin and did many thousands of laps of the velodrome over the years. I would like to be there to cheer you on but I'm living in Europe at the moment.

I enjoy reading your blog and look forward to reading about your record ride soon :-)

Corran