Aka's Double Loop #3 (October 2008)

This time last year I wanted a huge effort that would fully test me before participating in the 2007 Taupo Enduro. That all seems like so long ago now. This time around the Aka’s Double Loop was simply an attempt to keep my endurance from slipping away. The challenge ahead was the same as this time last year, with the only difference being me.

The day was forecast to be perfect, and a beautiful day was indeed ahead of all of those heading off to enjoy the day. On 9 Friday’s this year I have taken annual leave to allow me to have a long ride. Great for the family, as I have Saturday for time with the kids, and Sunday is a leisurely ride in the morning followed by a lazy Sunday afternoon. Thus, a weekend the way it should be.

The approach of taking Friday’s off also allowed me to test out my theory that a 6 day training week was actually better suited to overloading the body (while staying fresh). This worked well. At the start of my monthly training cycle I would have a Sunday ride for my long ride, then a Saturday, followed by the longest ride being a Friday ride. I then also get a 10 day break between long rides. Recommend this approach to anyone.

Also recommended is NW winds for the Aka’s Loop. This usually means a sheltered ride along about half of SH2, (despite a tailwind all along SH1). This was not to be today though. With a very honest ride ahead of us we setoff for 2 full laps of the Aka’s Loop. Yes, “We”. I usually go out of my way to ensure all of my longer rides are solo efforts, (mentally more challenging). I even turned down 2 requests for company on a longer outing. My comment at the time was genuine. I would enjoy the outing more if I rode with others, hence I needed to go it alone...unless they wanted to do 4 laps of Taupo with me. I needed to get used to cycling for hours and hours alone. This I have done.

So both Bob Pratt (the Kapiti Cycling Club President) and me headed off from my place at exactly 7am. With a time of 3:45 estimated for the 95kms of Lap 1 we had an ETA back in Kapiti of 10:45am. A few others were targeting doing Lap 2 with us, so it looked to be a relatively large group for the second half of the outing.

We made slow progress to the turnoff at SH1. The ride to the intersection takes about 3 minutes, and I was going to make this last. We stopped at the intersection and waited for traffic to clear. Finally it did, and clipping into the pedals I knew this was to be the last reprieve on this outing. We crossed SH1 and I very quickly wound the bike up to a speed that had me in my target heart rate (HR) zone. For this outing I was targeting 75-80% on the flat and 80-85% on the hills. This is a lot higher than my Taupo HR zones, but I saw little point in reducing from an Aka’s Triple Loop to an Aka’s Double Loop only to stay at previous HR zones. (If truth be known, I really wondered if this wasn’t actually a step down).

With a tailwind to Paekakariki Hill and slow climb to the summit, we made good time. It took approx 35 mins to the summit. Feeling good, having dry roads, and knowing that I had a inclination for a fast descent we proceeded to go faster than most of the speed limits for the first half of the descent.



A cracking view from the top of Paekakariki Hill.

Therefore the rhythm of the longer ride had begun. Firstly, find a comfortable pace on the flat, then unzip everything and spin up towards the summit, then zip everything up and bomb down the descent to get back onto the flats. It took us 53 minutes to the roundabout. Making good time.

The tailwind continued to the Haywoods. I naively thought this would continue until half way along SH2. However, I had until the top of the Haywoods. It was a good climb to the top, but I knew Bob was being patient on the ascent. He possibly weighs 25kg less than me and he was pacing his climb to my speed, so I made a point of not pushing into the red zone for my efforts, or I would blow-up and our eventual speed would end up being slower.

There was a lot of traffic out on the roads. The descent down the Hayward’s was decidedly busy. Halfway down the descent I was doing 70kms per hour and thought, “Stuff it”. I signalled that I was moving to the right and simply followed the traffic for the rest of the descent. Possibly safer for all involved, and definitely safer in that I got a perfect line for the final corner...with the speed unknown.

So with a normal NW wind SH2 is relatively sheltered for the first 5kms or so. Not this time. Headwind all the way to the turnoff. It’s a pleasure to ride on extended roading though. The new seal along SH2 is just so wide. I can only hope that more roading in the Wellington District will get cycle friendly sections like this as time goes by.

It’s funny. There is a common question I get asked. “How do you manage to do the longer rides??” The response is not relevant. What is relevant is that there are actually 2 key questions I have never been asked. The first question is "What does it feel like to be at Taupo and ride through the night??" Words would do this no credit, but imagine riding to work and every single motorist tooting encouragement to you, with some drivers winding down windows to yell out encouragement. It's like the day is yours. Mix this with relief, excitement, and a little (or lot) of fatigue and you get a unique feeling.

The mental aspect is the biggest hurdle on the longer rides though. Once you let negative thoughts in you start to talk yourself out of the goals you have worked so hard towards. This could have been the case for the Enduro last year, where I spent the first 80kms (and the vast majority of the year if truth be known) telling myself the distance of 320kms was too far. Then at around 4:30am the penny dropped that I was already a quarter of the way through the event. At this point I decided to focus on competing the outing. The remaining 240kms were completed with enthusiasm and determine.


Mont Ventoux can wait until July, but will make for a great end to the 2009 Tour.

The turnoff to the Aka’s saw us start our climb through the hills back to Waikanae. From the roundabout at SH58 to the start of the climb took exactly 60 minutes, so we were making good time. My legs felt fresh, so it was simply a case of staying in the relevant HR zones. I’m getting to know this road well, and with the Aka's Loop being a theme of my Taupo Maxi Enduro training I knew I’d be completing the 5th and 6th laps of the month while on this ride.

Reaching the summit Bob stopped for a quick break and he said, “Coast down the hill and I’ll meet you up”. I coasted down the hill, but while descending I figured that with an additional 4 cyclists awaiting us at Kapiti, and with me being the slowest climber, I could save everyone time by carrying on and getting caught on Paekakariki Hill while taking my time up the climb. However, as it turned out, I next spoke to Bob when I phoned him after the ride.

So while I pushed on along SH1 I passed through the main Kapiti intersection and unlike the Aka’s Triple Loop #2 I managed to get green lights. In fact I would go through the Kapiti lights 3 times on this outing and would get a green light every time. Very pleasing. I was also pleased to note that the first Aka’s Loop had taken 3:33. My previous fastest time was 3:45, but I seldom ride at this intensity, so I haven’t had a chance to crack 3:45 for 18 months.

My pace was faster on Lap 2 (compared to Lap 1) towards MacKay’s Crossing and then Paekakariki Hill. This was due to the wind being stronger. I knew the same would be true for SH2, but in that situation I’d be cycling back into the wind. Thus, this was my chance to bank away the minutes and seconds I’d be losing later in the ride.

I took my time going up Paekakariki Hill. With a strong tailwind I took approx 20 mins to get to the summit, and I expected to see the larger chasing group at any moment. My fastest climb to the summit is actually 13:45. I did that time almost 2 years ago to the day. A fat lot of use that climb did me for the Taupo Solo that year. 6:11 (admittedly with a puncture and the flu) and I still have no intention of doing the Taupo Solo again. I stopped at the top of Paekakariki Hill to see where the group was. At this point I started thinking that the “When I was caught”, would become a “If I was caught”. I asked the motor cyclists, who were going nowhere in a hurry, to tell the group of my time gap. This seemed to provide some interest to them, and I departed with the 2 motor cyclists now looking down towards the ascent.

Unbeknown at the time, behind me were actually 2 groups. Bob was now riding with his brother John Pratt, and also Julian Carr. Further back again were Miles Davies and Ross Ledger. All KCC cyclists. I wonder what Paul Sherwin and Phil Liggett would have made of all of this. Paul, no doubt, would have some historical update on some facet of the Paekakariki climb. While Phil would give his view on the escapees chances on this ride. Maybe a sceptical view of what the computer now predicted for the breakaway getting caught on this outing, or simply throwing in lines about the outing “Now getting grippy” and the efforts “Toughening up the race”. Maybe...

Cracking pace down the other side of Paekakariki Hill. I flew down the descent at close to 65kms per hour for some sections of road, and thoughts of anything but the road ahead of me were gone. It took 56 mins from the start of Lap 2 to the roundabout at SH58. A slower pace now, but still respectable. To follow was a tailwind through to Haywoods, with the road well light by the heat of a hot day’s sun, and memories of darkened nights along these stretches of road long gone. (Or fading anyway).

By now I was quite sure that I’d be caught by the group on the Haywoods. As it turned out the group were probably 3 to 4 minutes behind me, but on the descent down the Haywoods someone punctured in the chasing group. They were obviously being watched over, because there were no mishaps. With the majority of the chasing group only doing a single lap I am certain that without this puncture they would have caught me on SH2 for sure.

With a headwind to contend with I needed to stay focused on the task at hand and pushed on along SH2. At this point I got some light cramps in my right hamstring. This would be a good time to point out that my Endurolyte drink was all gone by now. The cramps disappeared shortly thereafter though thankfully. I also however started to feel light headed along this stretch of road. I don’t mind pushing the pace when I need to, but I haven’t kept up this pace for any length of time since the April Graperide Magnum, and I’m relieved I won’t be having this level of intensity at Taupo. In fact, I am profoundly relieved I won’t be having this level of intensity at Taupo. I still recall passing a Taupo Enduro rider near the end of Lap 1 last year. He had gone out too hard on the circuit and looked cooked. There were 3 of us that passed him in our ‘Gruppetto’, and not a word was said as we went by. I still don’t know if he finished...but he looked it.

So the other question people have never asked me. “What’s it like in between longer rides??” That is. What is it like trying to get through my body repairing itself while carrying on with everything else I have in my life in between longer outings. You see, to be tapping out a ride at pace after 200kms, or even 300kms you are’nt necessarily a gifted athletic or blessed with good genes. (No offence Mum and Dad!!). No. I’ve had to grind out every single km as I have slowly worked towards the juncture in my life that will arrive late in November. The price to pay is small, but also worth noting. As things stand, I have a section of skin (the size of your thumbnail) missing where I sit on my seat. This is from chaffing on a recent outing. I am surprised it happened. This now tears in differing directions through rides. Also, the inside of my nose is stripped raw. This is a normal occurrence after any longer ride (180kms or more). Thankfully it’s warmer now though, and I haven’t lost the sight in my right eye on a longer ride for 2 months now. Goggles will be utilised overnight at Taupo if it is a cooler evening. If this seems like too much information, then be grateful I haven’t mentioned the remainder of the chaffing. Don’t send flowers...codeine based pain killers will suffice.

I arrived at the SH2 intersection and arrived just in time for a red light. I was next to a guy in a van and decided that the situation had allowed for a brief update on the location of the other group. “Did you pass cyclists along SH2??”, I asked. “No, I didn’t see any cyclists”, was his reply. At this point in time I was pretty puzzled as to where the others could be. I assumed that they were close behind. In reality they were possibly about 10 minutes behind me. Either way, he would have passed all 5 cyclists, and maybe he wouldn’t have even seen me if I hadn’t spoken to him.

I turned left onto Akatarawa Road and started the climb through the hills. At this stage of proceedings it felt like a complete copout doing just the 2 laps. I had recently finished my post-Taupo training schedule, and the kms of the future outing shift from basketball scores to cricket scores. The Aka’s Loop 2 lapper an afterthought then. Never “easy”, but nevertheless, simply there to be ridden as if another task in my day. Maybe this is the juncture I truly needed to reach before I was ready for Taupo. Maybe though, I just found it difficult to call this a real outing if I was'nt riding through the night. This won't be a problem late in November. Thereafter, I made a point of ensuring that I stayed in my HR zones and didn’t simply spin to the summit.

I finally reached the summit and knew that a time around 7:20 was on the cards if I caught my breath on the descent and then pushed on through to Kapiti. The descent was straight forward and I only saw 1 car the whole way down.

The final stretch through to Kapiti was assisted with a tailwind, and I even had time to stop to pickup a gold chain I saw on the side of the road on a short climb. I had seen it the previous lap, but didn’t want to stop for this it the first time, as I decided a sub-7:30 time was more important. Time was on my side now though. Once collected the chain wasn’t quite the gleaming treasure it had promised to be when I saw it from a distance. But things seldom seem to live up to our expectations when inspected closely. I pocketed the item, with no more thought than an empty wrapper and pushed on. The finish was now close.

Arriving in Kapiti I had another green light at the intersection and pushed on for the final 2kms to complete the outing. I finished with a time of 7:18. This compares with an equivalent time of 8:39 for the Aka’s Double Loop I did a month before 2007 Taupo Enduro. This is with the same targeted HR zones. Someone told me shortly after that outing that if they were my times, then “I must be doing something wrong”. I respected them for having the honesty to say this to my face. I would hope however, that their view was now that I may have done something right.

After finishing the outing I cycled back to where Bob had left his car. However, the others had already finished and had dispersed. It must have been close. Thus, I cycled back home and had a bit of a stretch next to the road before putting the bike away. Ruth wasn’t yet at home to greet me this time, but I did have a group of “Trick or Treaters” ask for sweets shortly thereafter. I told them I had only just got home from a 200km bike ride, but they were welcome to come back later. “Are you an Olympian??”, a member of the group asked. “No”, I replied, “...not by a long way”. I decided not to bore them with my account of the journey towards Taupo.

Bob said after the ride that he had now decided on competing in the Graperide Magnum next April. I have done this event twice and have given Bob a few tips about this unique event. (Like no one asking others to take a turn at the front, and it being advisable to cycle from Blenheim to Renwick as a warm-up). Bob would do just fine without my help though, and I’m sure he’ll smash the 6:33 time I did this year. We are lucky to have a Club President of Bob’s experience and standing, and it was great to have an outing with him, albeit an abbreviated ride together.

Taupo is next. No more multi-lap Aka’s outings before the end of November. No more longer outings of any note. I do have a 180km ride next Sunday. But it’s a straightforward Aka’s Loop, followed by a trip to Otaki and back. I have also done this circuit 5 times since July, so am getting to know the outings I mapped out and set for myself early in January.

Soon enough it will be time to depart for Taupo, then start the event, then (God willing) finish. Times won’t matter. Then start all over again. A friend I know has said that they intend to do the Taupo Enduro in 2009. Many will think this person is an unlikely candidate for the Taupo 2 lapper. These same individuals, most likely, also would have doubted my ability to finish the journey. I hope they choose the ‘narrow path’ for their training and goal for next year. If they stick at it, and believe in their abilities, then their reward is a new life. If not seen in you by others, certainly seen within yourself.

So full circle. Just 4 months ago I setoff at the end of my working day for my first longer outing of the season (Aka’s Double Loop #1) and arriving home in the early hours the following morning I tuned into watch the first time trial stage of the 2008 Tour de France live on TV. With Taupo less than a month away we now have the 2009 Tour de France schedule announced. Armstrong will be back, as will Mont Ventoux, and the Team Time Trial. It will be a huge Tour. But it is Taupo I’ll remember. The Tour de France will be watched, but Taupo will be lived. Thus the return of Taupo will bring the challenges I loved so much in 2007. All year I have awaited the arrival of the Grande Depart from Tongariro Street. Never wishing away a single day though, and always aiming to cherish what we are given in the short existence we call life.
Number 8 for Armstrong?? He was 100% retired when my Taupo training started...
I expect to be well behind those making the headlines for the Taupo Maxi Enduro. A time of 32 hours would be about right. The winner will finish in around 23 hours. It was even faster last year. Do the math and you’ll realise that in a 4 lap event I will be lapped. The leaders will complete Lap 1 in less than 5 hours. You will then also realise that the event is not a group outing, but rather a group of individuals all competing against themselves. The elements will also have their say, with the rules of riding at night coming into play. If we have clear skies the temperature will be below freezing overnight. And just to show no stone has been left unturned...there will also be no moon. Not on the evening of Friday 28 November anyway.


So it’s almost all behind me. The training has strengthened my body, and for my mind I have the memories. Ultimately this is the prize of Taupo. No trophies, medals, or other superficial garments. Nothing to be hung for others to see. No. The memories will be recalled. At quieter moments. Thus, our memories become markers in our lives, and act as cherished moments of journeys in progress, or adventures nearing completion.

Whether footnotes for the idle reader, or anticipated updates to the avid supporter, these sentiments are ultimately steps towards junctures in my life that will get me to Taupo. For the outing itself I have the peace of mind in knowing I have tried my best, and this is all I can ask of myself or others. History will remember the November outing as a small episode in a larger story. But somewhere on the page my efforts will be noted...and of this I am both grateful and happy.

Whether it's right or wrong...2008's degree of success depends on one outing.

No comments: